This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5992 / 52°35'57"N
Longitude: -3.2013 / 3°12'4"W
OS Eastings: 318730
OS Northings: 300836
OS Grid: SJ187008
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.96J4
Mapcode Global: WH79V.SXRR
Entry Name: Whittingham's Stores
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16342
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Prominently sited at the centre of the village, bounding the churchyard adjacent to the Lion Public House.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Built-Up Area: Berriew
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Almost certainly purpose-built as a shop with accommodation in the mid C19, by the Vaynor Estate (an architect's drawing of the building is dated 1857), but possibly the rebuilding of an earlier house on the site (perhaps evidenced by the axial siting of the stack). Painted brick with dentilled eaves band, and slate roof, with axial brick stack. 2 storeys, 4-window range. Shop-front to right, with small paned windows splayed back to either side of central entrance, under a continuous moulded entablature or fascia: Entrance to adjacent accommodation (now partly used as stores) is in the centre of the left hand section of the building: 4-panelled door flanked by 12-pane sash windows on each floor, with a lower 6-pane sash window over the doorway, and a 12-pane sash over the shop. The windows are all in the splayed cases which are a characteristic of Vaynor Estate work of the mid C19.
A very good example of a mid C19 shop, retaining its original front virtually unaltered, which is part of an important group of buildings at the centre of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings