This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5972 / 52°35'49"N
Longitude: -3.1993 / 3°11'57"W
OS Eastings: 318862
OS Northings: 300604
OS Grid: SJ188006
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.9F0F
Mapcode Global: WH79V.TZPB
Entry Name: Berriew Aqueduct
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16349
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
Location: Carries the Montgomeryshire Canal over the River Rhiw SE of Berriew village.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Built-Up Area: Berriew
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
An aqueduct was built between 1794 and 1797 as part of the original engineering of the canal (engineered by John and Thomas Dadford), but the original masonry structure was re-faced in extensive restoration work in 1889, carried out by the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company.
Blue and red engineering brick, with stone dressings. 2 arches span the river, with keeled stone cutwater between them. Each has a stone drip mould, and a moulded string course defines the base of the deck. Narrower side arches carry the road and a track, and are similar detailed. The arches are all divided by projecting pilaster buttresses. Plain cruciform-section cast iron posts and railings to parapet. E face carries stone plaque inscribed with date of restoration.
A fine example of an aqueduct from the later phases of work on the Montgomeryshire Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings