History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brithdir Aqueduct

A Grade II Listed Building in Berriew, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6118 / 52°36'42"N

Longitude: -3.1862 / 3°11'10"W

OS Eastings: 319780

OS Northings: 302220

OS Grid: SJ197022

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.8J7F

Mapcode Global: WH79W.1M22

Entry Name: Brithdir Aqueduct

Listing Date: 21 August 1995

Last Amended: 21 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16356

Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage

Location: Carries the Montgomeryshire Canal across the Luggy Brook.

County: Powys

Community: Berriew (Aberriw)

Community: Berriew

Locality: Brithdir

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Berriew

History

G.W.Buck was the engineer of the eastern branch of the canal between 1819 and 1831, and he rebuilt an existing aqueduct in 1819. In 1828, he added railings to the tow-path side of the aqueduct. c1890, slumping of the cast-iron side plates necessitated a reduction of the span of the trough by the introduction of masonry abutments.

Exterior

Brick and stone abutments to either side of a cast-iron trough consisting of rectangular plates with splayed flanges bolted together. Cast iron railing on tow path side of 1828 has close-spaced posts below mid-rail, and iron hand rail. Timber deck and plain iron rail to W side probably added when the aqueduct was repaired c1890.

Reasons for Listing

A very good example of the small iron-trough type of aqueduct developed by G.W.Buck, and the prototype for the similar aqueduct at Welshpool.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bridge 126 over the Mongomeryshire Canal
    Carries the lane leading from the main A483 to Upper Luggy Farmhouse, S of the Horseshoes Inn at Bri
  • II Upper Luggy Farmhouse
    Approached by a lane leaving the main A483 south of the Horseshoes Inn at Brithdir.
  • II Bridge 125 over the Montgomeryshire Canal
    Carries the lane over the canal to the rear of the Horseshoes Inn.
  • II Brithdir Limekilns
    At the rear of the Horseshoes Public House, built into a mound on the bank of the Montgomeryshire C
  • II Horseshoes PH
    On the main A483 road to the N of Berriew, alongside the junction with Brithdir Lane.
  • II Brtihdir Lock
    Immediately NE of Bridge 125, adjacent to Brithdir Lane, and to the rear of the Horseshoes Inn.
  • II Brithdir Lock Cottage
    On the NW side of the canal at Brithdir Lock, close to Brithdir Lane.
  • II Brithdir Hall
    Set back from the lane in gardens, close to the junction with the main A483 at the Horseshoes Inn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.