Bridge 126 over the Mongomeryshire Canal
A Grade II Listed Building in Berriew, Powys
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6112 / 52°36'40"N
Longitude: -3.1867 / 3°11'12"W
OS Eastings: 319740
OS Northings: 302151
OS Grid: SJ197021
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.8J38
Mapcode Global: WH79W.0MSK
Entry Name: Bridge 126 over the Mongomeryshire Canal
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16357
Building Class: Transport
Location: Carries the lane leading from the main A483 to Upper Luggy Farmhouse, S of the Horseshoes Inn at Brithdir.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The Montgomeryshire Canal was constructed as far as Garthmyl c1794-1797. This bridge was almost certainly built at that time, with some subsequent repair work.
Single span bridge, red brick. Segmental arch with splayed abutments, parapet with stone copings, and shallow pilasters to either side.
Reasons for Listing
A typical example of bridge construction associated with the first phase of the Montgomeryshire Canal, and part of an important group of canal structures at Brithdir.
Other nearby listed buildings
Carries the Montgomeryshire Canal across the Luggy Brook.
Upper Luggy Farmhouse
Approached by a lane leaving the main A483 south of the Horseshoes Inn at Brithdir.
Bridge 125 over the Montgomeryshire Canal
Carries the lane over the canal to the rear of the Horseshoes Inn.
At the rear of the Horseshoes Public House, built into a mound on the bank of the Montgomeryshire Canal, close to the bridge carrying Brithdir Lane over the canal.
On the main A483 road to the N of Berriew, alongside the junction with Brithdir Lane.
Immediately NE of Bridge 125, adjacent to Brithdir Lane, and to the rear of the Horseshoes Inn.
Brithdir Lock Cottage
On the NW side of the canal at Brithdir Lock, close to Brithdir Lane.
Set back from the lane, and approached by a track almost opposite Brithdir Hall.