This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5835 / 52°35'0"N
Longitude: -3.2211 / 3°13'16"W
OS Eastings: 317358
OS Northings: 299105
OS Grid: SO173991
Mapcode National: GBR 9X.B7MD
Mapcode Global: WH7B1.HBB9
Entry Name: Cefn-Dreboeth
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16360
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Above the Llifior valley, and approached via a lane leading from a by-road connecting the Berriew-Bettws Cedewain road and the A483, S of Garthmyl.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A substantial timber framed farmhouse, with main range and cross wing to W. Probably late C16-early C17 in origin, with alterations dated 1688: these appear to have involved raising the height of the building, and the insertion of a staircase. More recent extensions have not obscured the basic C17 character of the house.
Largely rendered externally, with the box-framed construction exposed in the E wall and NE gable, where there is painted brick panel infill. Slate roof and brick axial stacks. E wall framing shows that earliest construction is irregularly framed with square panels (several of the timbers appear to have been replaced); the building was later raised slightly in height, with a new roof alignment incorporating a jettied gable to the NE: this is dated on the tie-beam, 1688: decorative framing including quatrefoil panels and scissor-braces above the collar. S facing elevation partially obscured by conservatory of c1980, and openings appear to be largely renewed: French doors to left, against the cross wing, and 4-light casement window to the right. Wide dormer to the left, with 3-light window. Cross wing has doorway to the right, and 3-light casement windows on each floor, the lower window with transom. Later extensions against N and W walls.
2-unit main range with axial stack; cross wing divided by an axial stack to form one large room with a smaller room backing onto the stack at the rear. Staircase in cross wing alongside the stack, probably contemporary with the raising of the house in 1688: turned balusters, moulded newels and rail. Principal rooms in cross wing and in main range both have deep bar-stopped beams panelling the ceiling, and chamfered joists running in alternate directions in each panel. Fireplace bressumer in kitchen (at E) has billet moulding. 2 trusses of the early roof-line visible over the main range upstairs.
Although there have been alterations to the exterior of the house, in its internal layout and detail, and where the framing is exposed externally, it retains the character of a C17 vernacular house of some quality.
Other nearby listed buildings