A Grade II Listed Building in Berriew, Powys
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.605 / 52°36'17"N
Longitude: -3.209 / 3°12'32"W
OS Eastings: 318219
OS Northings: 301485
OS Grid: SJ182014
Mapcode National: GBR 9X.8YDQ
Mapcode Global: WH79V.PS3B
Entry Name: Cil Chapel
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16364
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the W side of the B4385 Castle Caereinion Road, 1km approx. NW of Berriew village.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The chapel is dated 1846.
Coursed and squared stone, with slate roof. 3 bays, with central doorway in long range facing SE, and flanking tall mullioned and transomed windows with small panes. Similar windows in NW facing rear wall. All openings have cambered stone arched heads. Paired similar windows in lower gable end (which is clad in corrugated iron). Louvred oculus in gable end, and inscribed slate over doorway, 'Mount Zion Chapel 1846'.
Reasons for Listing
A very good example of a simple early C19 chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings
Lower cil Farmhouse
Set back on the E side of the Castle Caereinion Road, beyond Cil Chapel, 1km approx. NW of Berriew v
Stable Block at Rhiewport
Set back to the left of the house at Rhiewport.
Set back in grounds to the N of the road from Berriew village to Manafon, 1.5 approx. W of Berriew v
Former Joiners Workshop at Rhiewport
Set back in the garden to the E of the main house at Rhiewport.
Set back from the road as it bends away from the centre of the village to follow the river Rhiw.
Alongside the B4390 road to Manafon, just beyond Rhiewport, 1.5km. approx W of Berriew village.
Opposite the junction of the B4390 (Pool Road) with the B4385 at the centre of the village, in a gar
On the west side of the short length of road that connects the B4390 and the B4385 in the centre of