This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5698 / 52°34'11"N
Longitude: -3.2117 / 3°12'42"W
OS Eastings: 317969
OS Northings: 297572
OS Grid: SO179975
Mapcode National: GBR 9X.C3YL
Mapcode Global: WH7B1.MNTT
Entry Name: Post Office Stores
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16365
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Alongside the main Welshpool-Newtown Road at Fron, and with the Montgomeryshire Canal immediately to the rear.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Possibly built as a farmhouse and public house, as a single development associated with the Montgomeryshire Canal, where there was a wharf to the rear of the buildings. The stretch of canal between Garthmyl and Newtown was built between 1815 and 1819/20, and it is likely that these buildings immediately post-date construction, c1820-30. The former public house later became a shop and post office, and is still used as a small shop.
Brick with slate roofs, with broad overhanging eaves and brick axial and end wall stacks. 2 storeys, the 2 buildings comprise a 5-window range, and each is symmetrically planned with a central entrance. Moulded architraves with slim brackets to entablature hood of both doorways, with 6-panelled door to farmhouse to right, and glazed panelled doorway to shop. Traceried overlights. Flanking windows are small-paned iron casements with mullions and transoms, with interlaced tracery in the upper lights (but later canted bay window to right of doorway in farmhouse). Similar windows to first floor, including a 2-light window over the door of the wider farmhouse. Stressed brick quoins to window surrounds, and rubbed brick heads. Brick angle quoins. Tan y Fron has iron railings with twisted finials enclosing the front garden.
A building of considerable character, which retains almost all its original external detail; the traceried glazing is a particularly fine example of its type.
Other nearby listed buildings