This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.565 / 52°33'54"N
Longitude: -3.222 / 3°13'19"W
OS Eastings: 317265
OS Northings: 297056
OS Grid: SO172970
Mapcode National: GBR 9X.CFDN
Mapcode Global: WH7B1.GSYG
Entry Name: Bridge 142 over the Mongomeryshire Canal
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16392
Building Class: Transport
Location: Opposite the Red House, immediately adjacent to the main A483.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company purchased the western branch of the Montgomeryshire Canal in 1850, and carried out a programme of engineering work, including the replacement of several early bridges. This swing bridge is built to a design associated with the Company, and is likely to be late C19.
4 bellied cast-iron girders carried the decking of the bridge, which swings into a blue brick turning circle on the W bank of the canal. Rails to either side probably later additions or renewals.
A significant element in the later phase of structures associated with the canal.
Other nearby listed buildings