This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6033 / 52°36'11"N
Longitude: -3.2172 / 3°13'1"W
OS Eastings: 317665
OS Northings: 301305
OS Grid: SJ176013
Mapcode National: GBR 9X.92M2
Mapcode Global: WH79V.KT7M
Entry Name: Stable Block at Rhiewport
Listing Date: 26 October 1953
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16394
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back to the left of the house at Rhiewport.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Probably contemporary with the house, c1815.
Brick with stone dressings and slate roof. 2 storeyed, forming a U-plan courtyard with the open side to the rear. Principal front is 5 bays with the central bay advanced and pedimented, and surmounted by a weather vane. Full-height blind segmental archway with rubbed brickwork, containing cambered archway to recessed entrance to stables either side, and 16-pane sash window above. Oculus in apex of pediment. Flanking bays have 12-pane sash windows with flat arched brick heads on each floor (one to lower left renewed in original opening). Lower storey arcaded by rubbed brick round-arched blind panels linked by stone impost bands. Continuous sill band to first floor. Right hand return elevation is symmetrically planned with advanced gables at either end, each with full-height blind segmental archway (that to left containing doorway). 4-window range between the gables, with single wide cambered headed carriage entry to centre, leading to central courtyard. Inner side of this range has 3 wide cambered arched entrances (of coach house) to ground floor, and 3 sash windows above. Opposite range has open-boarded upper storey, and wide archways with cambered heads to either side below (the left hand archway blocked).
A fine and unusually complete example of an early C19 stable and coach house building which forms part of a group with Rhiewport.
Other nearby listed buildings