This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2486 / 53°14'54"N
Longitude: -3.1353 / 3°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 324346
OS Northings: 372999
OS Grid: SJ243729
Mapcode National: GBR 6ZKW.05
Mapcode Global: WH76S.TL6X
Entry Name: St Mary Church
Listing Date: 11 September 1995
Last Amended: 11 September 1995
Source ID: 16406
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Between Church Street and Sydney Street, set at an angle to Church Street, oriented E-W.
Community: Flint (Y Fflint)
Built-Up Area: Flint
Traditional County: Flintshire
Rebuilt by Ambrose Poynter, architect, 1846-48 on site of medieval church.
Coursed brown stone, slate roofs. Eclectic Gothic style. Nave (chancel same height as nave) and aisles, NW corner tower, N transept (organ chamber), N porch. Tower has octagonal stone spire with lucarnes; 2-light Decorated style windows to bell stage; stepped buttresses, clock. To L of tower 4 bays, paired Caernarfon arched windows to clerestorey, broad single-light cusped windows to aisle; porch with modern doors; transept with oculus in gable, 3-light window to ground floor N and E; 3 lancets to E end. South elevation similar to N but lacks transept; instead, lower chapel at E end of aisle, and tall lancet. W end has 3 lancets with trefoil over.
Spacious interior with camberbeam roof to nave and to chancel; chancel same height as nave with no structural division; roof beams to chancel heavier (possibly later?). Broad arches to aisles have octagonal shafts. Gallery to W end with painted panel of Royal arms (Queen Victoria). Monuments to members of the Muspratt family (who set up alkali works at town); to S of chancel Julia Muspratt (died 1857) by Spence; to N of chancel James and Richard Muspratt (died 1886, and 1885) by E J Physick.
Included as example of early Victorian Gothic on site of historic parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings