This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4383 / 51°26'17"N
Longitude: -3.4273 / 3°25'38"W
OS Eastings: 300887
OS Northings: 172001
OS Grid: ST008720
Mapcode National: GBR HL.NQLW
Mapcode Global: VH6FG.J3ZQ
Entry Name: Former Hall Range to S of Old Beaupre Castle
Listing Date: 22 September 1995
Last Amended: 22 September 1995
Source ID: 16416
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located immediately to the S of S range of Old Beaupre Castle, aligned on N/S axis.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Llanfair (Llan-fair)
Locality: Old Beaupre
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Substantial fortified manor house dating from the C14 to the early C17, now primarily a roofless ruin in State guardianship. The Bassett family occupied the site from the first recorded references in 1262. During the occupancy of Sir Rice Mansel during the C16 the house was extended and developed; the outer gatehouse, the enclosure of the middle court and the later storeyed porch to the central range were erected in 1586 and 1600 respectively. In the C17 the Bassett family abandoned Beaupre in favour of the smaller nearby Fishweir. However, there is evidence of partial habitation during the early C18 with blocked fireplaces and windows in attempts at tax avoidance. The manor was sold in 1709. The building became progressively ruinous with only the SE block continuing to be inhabited as a farmhouse to the present day. The former hall has C14 origins. Probably the first floor hall or solar to the earliest building on the site. The history of the house is fully documented in the RCAHMW Inventory. Modern restoration.
Elevations of coursed limestone rubble. The N elevation retains the early C14 window of two transomed lights with trefoiled heads and sunk spandrels beneath a relieving arch in dressed Sutton stone. Plain chamfers. Beneath this window is a doorway with a round timber head. The first floor of the E elevation appears to have been rebuilt and has three rooflights and two pent dormers. Three massive, battered buttresses, also in rubble, with later openings. The S elevation has two modified window openings, the lower one retaining E jamb and cill of dressed Sutton stone. To W end of S gable is a substantial, projecting rubble stack. To W elevation is a modern doorway at the S end and Single, square-headed light on N side. A projecting tall square stack to N end with pyramidal capping. To its N is an original opening with two-centred head formed by a relieving arch of voussoirs.
The ground floor retains two early fireplaces, at the S end, W corner is a projecting hood with plain jambs, whilst on the W wall retains an early timber lintol and herringbone stonework to the back wall. The first floor is a modern re-introduction set at a higher level than the original. The N window has splayed reveals with evidence of a window seat. The window retains evidence of shutters to each light. At the S end is a niche. No other features remain.
Listed grade II for its surviving interest as a rare example of a medieval hall from the first phase of development at Old Beaupre.
Scheduled Ancient Monument GM1 (part)
Other nearby listed buildings