History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Beaupre Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair, Vale of Glamorgan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4378 / 51°26'16"N

Longitude: -3.4268 / 3°25'36"W

OS Eastings: 300919

OS Northings: 171947

OS Grid: ST009719

Mapcode National: GBR HL.NQRG

Mapcode Global: VH6FG.K472

Entry Name: Old Beaupre Barn

Listing Date: 22 September 1995

Last Amended: 22 September 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16417

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Located to the SE of Old Beaupre Castle, within a field approximately 100m S of the farmhouse, aligned on a NE/SW axis.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Llanfair (Llan-fair)

Community: Llanfair

Locality: Old Beaupre

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cowbridge

History

C16 barn formerly serving the farm at Old Beaupre. Old Beaupre Castle is a substantial fortified manor house dating from the C14 to the early C17, now primarily a roofless ruin in the care of Cadw. The Bassett family occupied the site from the first recorded references in 1262.. The manor was sold in 1709.

Exterior

Roofless 5-bay barn of c1500. Coursed rubble elevations with batter to base of walls. Two asymmetrically placed doorways on the E and W elevations with two-centred arches of dressed sutton stone with relieving arches behind. To N and S gables high set ventilation openings with splayed loop on interior.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II as a surviving sub-medieval ancillary farm building of group value with Old Beaupre Castle complex.

Scheduled Ancient Monument No. GM1 (part)

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former Hall Range to S of Old Beaupre Castle
    Located immediately to the S of S range of Old Beaupre Castle, aligned on N/S axis.
  • I Old Beaupre Castle
    Located approximately 2km SW of St Hilary on the E bank of the river Thaw, set on a platformed site,
  • II* Old Beaupre Farmhouse
    Located at the SE corner of Old Beaupre Castle, attached to the E end of the S range of the ruined m
  • II Old Rectory
    Located immediately to the North of St Mary Church, within the centre of the village.
  • II Parish Church of St Mary
    Located at the centre of St Mary Church village.
  • II Barn at Fishweir
    Located approximately 2km South East of the village of St Mary Church on the Tre-Aubrey to Llanmaes
  • II Fishweir Farmhouse
    Located 2km SE of the village of St Mary Church village on the Tre-Aubrey to Llanmaes Road, from whi
  • II New Beaupre
    Located W of the village of St Hilary at the end of a long unmetalled private drive, running W throu

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.