This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6832 / 51°40'59"N
Longitude: -3.1428 / 3°8'34"W
OS Eastings: 321089
OS Northings: 198886
OS Grid: ST210988
Mapcode National: GBR HZ.546F
Mapcode Global: VH6D8.GYWK
Entry Name: Former Navigation Colliery Middle Revetment Wall
Listing Date: 28 September 1994
Last Amended: 29 January 1999
Source ID: 16427
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Extends from S of the former Baths which lie N of the colliery complex, in front of the Powder Store, to N of the N Winding Engine House.
Community: Crumlin (Crymlyn)
Locality: Navigation Colliery Crumlin
Built-Up Area: Newbridge
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Navigation Colliery Crumlin was built by the firm of Partridge Jones and Company between 1907 and 1911. The firm was one of the largest coal combines in S Wales, owning 9 collieries in the Gwent valleys. Navigation Colliery was a show-pit of the period with high quality buildings and up-to-date machinery. One of the earliest collieries in S Wales to be built in brick rather than local stone with brick dressings. Closed 1967 and disused since.
Revetment wall of rubble sandstone increasing in height from S to N as the sloping road to the lower level of the colliery falls beside it. It has the remains of pulleys and fittings and is surmounted by a fence of standard rails with winding cables passed between them, no longer intact.
Included for group value with other listed former colliery buildings in this important colliery complex.
Other nearby listed buildings