This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0499 / 53°2'59"N
Longitude: -2.9956 / 2°59'44"W
OS Eastings: 333356
OS Northings: 350751
OS Grid: SJ333507
Mapcode National: GBR 75.CYMZ
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.YLPS
Entry Name: No 28, Grosvenor Road (Se Side),,,,,clwyd,
Listing Date: 31 January 1994
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source ID: 16492
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The last pair of houses on the SE side of Grosvenor Road before its junction with Rhosddu Road.
Community: Rhosddu (Rhos-ddu)
Built-Up Area: Wrexham
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built as a pair of houses between 1869 and 1872. One now in use as offices.
Flemish bond brickwork with burnt headers, some ashlar dressings and slate roof. Each house is identical, and their composition as a pair is not therefore symmetrical. 2 storeys, 6 window range. Each house has advanced gable to the left, and shallow lean-to in its angle housing porch and paired ground floor windows. Shallow sementally arcged outer door to porch, which has angle quoins and plain wood fascia which continues across pair of full-height windows to the right. These are segmentally arched casements, divided by rusticated painted stone pilasters. Upper windows are 4-pane sashes in moulded stone architraves, with flat arched entablatues with keys, and continuous sill band. Advanced gables each have canted bay window with tall casement lights to ground floor, and Palladian window to upper storey, with continuous sill band. Modillion cornice forms open pediment to gable, and continues across right hand range. Axial stacks retail stepped brick and stone caps.
Listed as a well-detailed and preserved villa design, a good early example of Wrexham's late C19 suburban development.
Other nearby listed buildings