This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0457 / 53°2'44"N
Longitude: -2.9921 / 2°59'31"W
OS Eastings: 333588
OS Northings: 350287
OS Grid: SJ335502
Mapcode National: GBR 75.D5PN
Mapcode Global: WH88Z.0PHY
Entry Name: No 40 Henblas Street,,,,,clwyd,
Listing Date: 16 June 1980
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source ID: 16503
Building Class: Commercial
Location: 40 Henblas Street
Community: Rhosddu (Rhos-ddu)
Built-Up Area: Wrexham
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built in 1848 to designs of the younger Thomas Penson, and extended to rear c1880.
Exterior (High Street elevation): Roughly coursed and squared stone with slate roof, a 2 storeyed range symmetrically planned with higher 3-window entrance range flanked by lower single window ranges housing shops to either side. Jacobean style. Entrance range has advanced central gabled bay, with segmentally arched entrance, and upper storey corbelled out. Corbelled mullioned and transomed oriel window with leaded lights and strapwork parapet over the entrance beneath a shaped gable with finials. To either side of the central gable, original full-height segmental openings now form windows to adjacent shops. 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with leaded glazing above, with pedimented heads, and shaped gablets breaking the eaves line above. To either side of this block, lower side ranges are slightly recessed and clasped by outer pilasters surmounted by urn finials. No 11 retains late C19 front with ornate panelled pilasters to either side. 2-light mullioned and transomed window with leaded lights to each side above.
Rear entrance and No 40 Henblas Street: Rear entrance of market hall forms part of an extension of c1879-80, and is similar in design to the General Market entrance which it faces across the street. Segmentally arched entry (the doors themselves, and the glazed tymapanum renewed), with inset stone shafts with foliate capitals carrying the arch which has a stone rams-head key. Stepped teracotta corbelling follows the line of the steep stone coped gable above. Projecting from the left hand side of this entrance, a 2-storeyed shop building is dated 1880: Entrance across stressed angle, with panelled pilasters to either side of recessed doorway, and similar pilasters at outer ends of shop windows in each elevation. Blind brickwork to angled upper storey, between pilasters, with stone panel carrying date as cornice, and heavy cast iron scrolled lantern to wall. Paired round headed windows with central stone shaft, terracotta rosettes and continuous hood mould to either side. Terracotta corbel table between outer pilasters. Hipped slate roof with lead finials.
Market hall includes 2 permanent stalls or shops to either side of entrance from High Street, both with late C19 detailing. Hall is an 8-bay structure, with timber trusses carried on cast iron columns with wrought iron braces forming aisles.
Other nearby listed buildings