This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0353 / 53°2'7"N
Longitude: -3.0327 / 3°1'57"W
OS Eastings: 330847
OS Northings: 349171
OS Grid: SJ308491
Mapcode National: GBR 74.DV41
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.DY3X
Entry Name: East Weir on River Clywedog
Listing Date: 8 December 1995
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 16552
Building Class: Industrial
Location: On the River Clywedog, at the centre of Bersham village to the E of the Ironworks site
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A pre-existing ironworks at Bersham was leased by Isaac Wilkinson from c1753. From c1763, it was operated as the New Bersham Company by his sons John and William. In 1774, John patented a machine for boring out cannon, and in 1775, for boring out steam-engine cylinders for Boulton and Watt: there followed a major expansion of the works which became a highly successful venture. The weir was constructed c1779 by John Wilkinson, as part of the water-power system serving the Eastern Ironworks, which were probably newly established as part of the rapid expansion of Wilkinson's works from the 1770's.
Stone inclined weir (with some concrete overlay); Revetment walls of stone blocks, bolted together with cast-iron, with a narrow channel clearly visible in the stonework of the N parapet.
Listed as an integral part of the power-system for the E ironworks at Bersham, and as one of the few surviving features associated with the East works.
Other nearby listed buildings