This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0371 / 53°2'13"N
Longitude: -3.0391 / 3°2'20"W
OS Eastings: 330418
OS Northings: 349370
OS Grid: SJ304493
Mapcode National: GBR 74.DL89
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.9X1L
Entry Name: Caeau Weir
Listing Date: 8 December 1995
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 16555
Building Class: Industrial
Location: On the River Clywedog, close to Caeau Bridge, 400m approx. W of Plas Power Chapel
Community: Coedpoeth (Coed-poeth)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The origins of the weir may date back to the medieval period; the Clywedog had long been exploited as a power source prior to the establishment of an ironworks at Bersham at the end of the C17. The weir almost certainly formed part of the water power system for the ironworks during the C18, and then for Bersham Corn Mill from 1828. Its stepped profile was created some time between 1900 and 1911, perhaps to enhance its appearance as a feature within the park at Plas Power.
Stepped stonework, slightly curved in plan, with abutment walls of coursed and squared stone to either side, and a blue brick retaining wall linking the weir with Caeau Bridge to the S. A sluice gate at the top of the weir fed a leat which served the ironworks and later cornmill.
Forms a group with Caeau Bridge.
An important element in the early water-power system developed to serve the ironworks (though probably with earlier origins) and subsequently the corn mill at Bersham. The weir also forms a striking feature within Plas Power Park.
Other nearby listed buildings