This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0363 / 53°2'10"N
Longitude: -3.0216 / 3°1'17"W
OS Eastings: 331593
OS Northings: 349267
OS Grid: SJ315492
Mapcode National: GBR 74.DQJ8
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.KYC6
Entry Name: ,1-3,Laurel Grove,Bersham,,,
Listing Date: 8 December 1995
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 16563
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Close to the River Clywedog on the S side of Bersham Road, between Bersham and Wrexham.
Built-Up Area: Rhostyllen
Traditional County: Denbighshire
It is said that the house was built in 1807, for the then owner of the Paper Mill built on the opposite side of the River Clwyedog in 1801, and A.N.Palmer notes that a house had been built here by 1808. A title deed of 1866 shows that the house was built by an Edward Bozley, and it is described as 'afterwards greatly enlarged and improved by Messrs Williams and Joseph Harris'. It seems probable that these alterations were made c1830, giving the house its present form and character, with Tudor-revival detail. The house was subdivided in the 1950's.
Lined-out render over brick with stressed angle quoins; slate and tile roof. Expressed as 2 storeys externally (but with upper windows divided to light an attic storey), 5-window range. Central entrance (now the entrance to No 2) had partly glazed double doors in 2-centred moulded archway with drop-ended hood mould, in an expressed panel with gabletted buttresses. Upper windows are mullioned and transomed lights with small panes and drop-ended hood moulds and continuous sill band. The doorway is flanked by canted bay windows with moulded architraves and cornices and similar transomed lights. Return elevation to left has similar windows, including a canted bay. Right-hand return includes stair window with radial-glazing. Lower service wing to rea
Listed as a fine early C19 building which is a good example of a manager's house in the context of the industrial development of the River Clywedog
Other nearby listed buildings