History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corn Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Castlemartin, Pembrokeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6485 / 51°38'54"N

Longitude: -5.0017 / 5°0'6"W

OS Eastings: 192432

OS Northings: 198684

OS Grid: SR924986

Mapcode National: GBR G7.02MD

Mapcode Global: VH1S5.8T4L

Entry Name: Corn Mill House

Listing Date: 8 December 1995

Last Amended: 8 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16586

Building Class: Domestic

Location: 700 m E of Stem Bridge.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)

Community: Castlemartin

Locality: Kings Mill

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Castlemartin

Exterior

History: Late C18 or early C19 group consisting of corn mill and house and a mid/late C19 cart shed. There is documentary evidence for mills here from c.1600. The tenant in 1834 also farmed 66 acres. The mill was in operation until c.1910. The house has been derelict since c.1980.

House: Range of three windows to front (S), three storeys and basement, with end-chimneys. Rear wing: range of two windows, end chimney. Basement access via a small sunken yard to W of rear wing. Lean-to outbuildings at N gable. Local rubble limestone walls, rendered. Slated roofs. Sash windows with six-pane sashes throughout except basement. Segmental brick window heads. Small front garden enclosed by a low wall and gate. Cottage type of range in basement kitchen and in E front room.

A lean-to building at rear of back extension contains a large open-top water boiler with a fireplace at the side, which lies against a very large oven within the back extension of the house.


Listed as part of fine mill and house group with surviving millwork.

References: OS 6" 1864
RCAHM notes 1978 and drawings of millwork
Dyfed Arch. Trust: S&M PRN 7848

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.