History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatepiers and Gates at Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1245 / 53°7'28"N

Longitude: -3.2804 / 3°16'49"W

OS Eastings: 314414

OS Northings: 359353

OS Grid: SJ144593

Mapcode National: GBR 6T.71NQ

Mapcode Global: WH779.LQ3L

Entry Name: Gatepiers and Gates at Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 21 December 1995

Last Amended: 24 June 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16595

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located at the SW entrance to the churchyard.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd

Community: Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Ruthin

History

Contemporary with church (1863), and no doubt also by Poundley & Walker, architects; the piers mirror the buttressing on the church.

Exterior

Two pairs of gatepiers with single gates flanking a pair of central double gates. Grey rock-faced stone piers, approximately 2.1m high, with smooth gabled copings. These have roundels to front and rear, crocketed finials, and taper in half-hipped arrangement; slightly battered bases. Main gates of wrought-iron with horizontal panels of scrolls and vertical bars, with fleurs-de-lis finials; similar single gates to ends.

The end gatepiers connect with the rubble walls of the churchyard.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine set of piers and gates which are an integrally-designed part of the setting of the church.

Group value with St Peter's Church.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Gatehouse
    On the road-side in the centre of the village, opposite the Church of St Peter.
  • II The Griffin Public House
    Prominently-sited on a bend of the road in the centre of the village group, opposite the church.
  • II Lloyd Monument at Church of St Peter
    Located in the churchyard, approximately 20m W of the church.
  • II* Church of St Peter
    At the junction of the A494 and the B 5429, set within its own walled churchyard.
  • II Plas Isa
    Set back to the E of the main road at the approach to Llanbedr village. Also called Maenor Plas Isaf.
  • II Old Church of St Peter
    Strikingly located within a raised and revetted churchyard on the eastern slope of the Vale of Clwyd, approximately 0.5km N of the village centre and 200m SW of Llanbedr hall; accessed via a footpath
  • II Gazebo at the Old Rectory
    Located at the lower (south-western) end of the garden at the Old Rectory.
  • II* Old Rectory
    Set in its own grounds approximately 0.5km NW of Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd, with drive entrance close to a bend on the road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.