This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0079 / 52°0'28"N
Longitude: -3.2577 / 3°15'27"W
OS Eastings: 313768
OS Northings: 235136
OS Grid: SO137351
Mapcode National: GBR YV.HQL0
Mapcode Global: VH6BN.HS4L
Entry Name: Basil Webb Hall, at Bronllys Hospital
Listing Date: 15 December 1995
Last Amended: 15 December 1995
Source ID: 16605
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Situated on the campus of the King Edward VII Welsh National Tuberculosis Hospital, to the E of the main hospital buildings.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The building is a recreation hall, given as a memorial for Tom Henry Basil Webb, 1914-1918, by Lieut/Col Sir Henry Webb, Bt. of Llwynarthan, Monmouthshire. The cost was £5,000. The sanatorium was opened on July 17th 1920 by King George V and Queen Mary. The hall is now the Finance Department of the Hospital.
Pebbledashed brickwork with a sprocketed slate roof. One storey, 8 bays divided by deep buttresses. Main doors in projecting bay on N side. Glazed door in 1st and 7th bays on S side. Multi-paned windows. On the 6th bay, a 5-sided bay with a hipped roof, and a dormer with deep eaves over the 2nd bay. The eaves return for 1 bay over the buttresses at the end, with gable windows extending up to collar level in the main roof. The gable is slate hung.
Now converted to offices.
Included as a well designed and well preserved building typical of the type of light and airy buildings required for the treatment of tuberculosis in sanatoria. Of group value with the Chapel of Bronllys Hospital.
Other nearby listed buildings