This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1678 / 52°10'3"N
Longitude: -4.3686 / 4°22'6"W
OS Eastings: 238107
OS Northings: 254812
OS Grid: SN381548
Mapcode National: GBR DC.5K24
Mapcode Global: VH3JX.7SC1
Entry Name: Pensarn former Calvanistic Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 2 February 1996
Last Amended: 2 February 1996
Source ID: 16615
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on W side of by-road which leads from Pont Ffynnondewi (A487) to Caerwedros: 1.5 km S of the latter. Large cemetery to S beyond forecourt.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Built 1833, replacing a chapel of 1795. The cause began c1744 at Coedybrain. Forty members in 1902. Now closed: fittings removed.
Rubble walls (formerly plastered). Slate roof, projecting eaves and bargeboards. Lateral 4-bay front with two long round arched windows to centre having 9/6-pane sashes: radiating upper glazing. Smaller upper window to each outer bay with similar glazing. Slate sills: stone voussoirs. Matching outer doors to front with paired 2-panel doors: 6-pane fanlights with radiating glazing bars, stone voussoirs. Slate plaque to upper centre inscribed: "Pensarn. A Adeiladwyd yn y Flwyddyn 1795. Aca adeiladwyd yn y Flwyddyn 1833". Slate memorial attached to front under right-hand long window to David Davies of Pen'ralltgoch (1765-1845), who was the first Deacon at Pensarn.
Right (roadside) gable end with 12-pane hornless sash window to each storey: cambered stone voussoired heads. Similar window to first floor of left end. Rear with two similar windows to each storey. Slate sills.
Small front courtyard with rubble wall alongside road having paired late C19 cast iron gates with scrolled finials and curved bracing: square dressed stone piers.
Fittings dismantled. Flat plaster ceiling with two small plaster roundels.
Listed as an attractively designed late Georgian former wayside Chapel.