This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.182 / 52°10'55"N
Longitude: -4.4053 / 4°24'19"W
OS Eastings: 235646
OS Northings: 256475
OS Grid: SN356564
Mapcode National: GBR DB.4MY1
Mapcode Global: VH3JW.LFF4
Entry Name: Cottage near Felin Huw
Listing Date: 2 February 1996
Last Amended: 2 February 1996
Source ID: 16628
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 80m W of Felin Huw and some 60m W of public path, which briefly skirts by-road 0.3km S of Pen-y-parc.
Locality: Felin Huw
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Early C19, possible earlier origins. Shown on 1845 Tithe map, forming part of the mill complex then owned by the Corporation of Pembroke: occupier, Hugh Davies.
Whitewshed rubble construction. Corrugated-iron roof with thatch visible underneath. Brick chimney-stack to right gable. Three-bay front, offset to left. Central boarded door. Small window to left, wider window to right: glazing bars missing. Timber lintels.
Later cartshed to left, similar construction to house with opening rising to eaves.
Unavailable for inspection, but said to be of croglofft plan with original features. Interior photographs and plan published by M.Davies (1991). The half-loft is over the parlour (left) room and cross-passage, reached by a ladder from the kitchen. Tiny unheated parlour. The main room apparently has a large wickerwork fireplace-hood supported on a cross-beam. Later freestanding oven with grate underneath. Small larder at end of passage with stone shelving. Parlour partition of rough overlapping planks with wooden coat-pegs on passage side.
Condition derelict at time of inspection (August 1995).
Listed as a rare example of a surviving Cardiganshire vernacular cottage believed to retain its internal features.
Other nearby listed buildings