This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.66 / 52°39'35"N
Longitude: -3.147 / 3°8'49"W
OS Eastings: 322514
OS Northings: 307535
OS Grid: SJ225075
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5FVY
Mapcode Global: WH79P.MDMM
Entry Name: ,6,Church Street,Welshpool,,,
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16652
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Part of a continuously built-up row on the W side of the street.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: A tablet carries the inscription Briscoe J.M. (John and Mary) 1742, but the building was later raised in height.
Exterior: Brick with slate roof. 3 storeys, 7-window range to first floor, with 4-windows in upper floor. Ground floor shop fronts are restorations (or replicas) of mid-late C19 fronts, each with doorway to left and window alongside divided vertically into 4 panes with a single central transom. Slender pilasters to continuous fascia. Single earlier window between the shop fronts, and an inserted double doorway to the right. Traces of the original string course are visible over the central window. 12-pane flush-framed sash windows with cambered brick heads to first floor; 9-pane sashes with timber lintels below the moulded eaves cornice in the upper floor.
Interior: Upper storey retains roof timbers (themselves re-used) of the 2-storeyed building of 1742.
A well-preserved and substantially C18 building which forms part of a group of commercial and domestic properties on Church Street
Other nearby listed buildings