This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6598 / 52°39'35"N
Longitude: -3.1469 / 3°8'48"W
OS Eastings: 322523
OS Northings: 307517
OS Grid: SJ225075
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5FX3
Mapcode Global: WH79P.MDPR
Entry Name: ,3&4,Church Street,Welshpool,,,
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16657
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Immediately adjacent to Coach House Chambers.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Originally the stable range of the Royal Oak Hotel, built c1860, and oriented towards the hotel, but converted into shops c1930, facing the street. Originally intended to accommodate 6 units, it now houses 3 shops.
Exterior: The original construction is visible in the N gable end and to the rear: red brick with blue brick dressings and slate roof. The frontage to Church Street is rendered. Single storeyed, it comprises 10 regular bays articulated by pilasters with rosettes to capitals supporting a plain cornice band. The 3 entrance bays are enriched by rosette decoration in the moulded panel above the doorway; the windows which flank them are in arcaded bays, with blind painted fanlights radiating from low relief acanthus decoration, and stressed keys. The original arrangement in which splayed side doorways were recessed in the principle entrances still survives in Nos 4 and 5-6.
An excellently detailed early C20 commercial development which retains a high degree of integrity in the strong rhythm of its original design, and which forms part of a group with the Royal Oak Hotel and other buildings on Church Street.
Other nearby listed buildings