This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6608 / 52°39'39"N
Longitude: -3.1508 / 3°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 322261
OS Northings: 307635
OS Grid: SJ222076
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5DXV
Mapcode Global: WH79P.KCTZ
Entry Name: ,30,High Street,Welshpool,,,
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16671
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Alongside the Mermaid Public House.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Built as a pair of houses c1835, on a site with a longer history of occupation. The ground floor of No 29 was in use as a shop by 1881; No 30 was converted into a shop c1950.
Exterior: Painted brick street elevation, with rough local rubble to side and rear; tiled roof with brick axial stacks set in front and rear slopes of the roof. Symmetrical shop fronts of c1950, each with outer doorway, and continuous fascia; 12-pane sashes to first floor, 9-pane above, all with flat arched rendered heads with stressed keystones. Left gable has finely lettered tablet recording 'Party Wall'.
Interior: Ground floor layouts altered on conversion to shops, but the upper accommodation substantially retains its original form; fine shallow spiral oak staircase rising from ground to first floor in short rear wing of No 29.
The building retains much of its character as an early C19 pair, and forms part of a group at the upper end of High Street.
References: Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.34;
Information from owner.
Other nearby listed buildings