This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6607 / 52°39'38"N
Longitude: -3.1494 / 3°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 322353
OS Northings: 307622
OS Grid: SJ223076
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5F94
Mapcode Global: WH79P.LDH1
Entry Name: ,42,High Street,Welshpool,,,
Listing Date: 25 April 1950
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16672
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Part of a terrace immediately above the Town Hall.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Pair of houses (now shop and restaurant) built as part of a longer terrace including Nos 43-44, and probably mid C18 though considerably altered with changing uses. The property belonged to the Kynaston family, and title deeds refer to a 'messuage, dwelling house or inn ... lately rebuilt' in 1747.
Exterior: 2 storeyed with attic, a 5-window range. Brick with slate roof: the brickwork painted to No 41, and rendered with mock-timber cladding to No 42. Stack on right hand gable, and towards rear in No 41. Originally, the 2 houses had paired central doorways in architrave with entablature hood, and with lattice glazed overlights to panelled doors. One of these doorways survives, though blocked. Modern shop fronts occupy the rest of the ground floor to either side. No 41 retains 2x12-pane sash windows with flat arched heads: previously similar windows in No 42 are 2-pane sashes. Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped dormers in roof have 6-pane sash windows. No 41 has short rear wing (rubble) extended in the early C19 by a rubble and brick warehouse range.
Included notwithstanding C20 alterations as C18 town houses retaining some early detail and forming part of a group.
Reference: Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.18, 1938, p.174 & 180.
Other nearby listed buildings