This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6631 / 52°39'47"N
Longitude: -3.1384 / 3°8'18"W
OS Eastings: 323105
OS Northings: 307869
OS Grid: SJ231078
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5B0M
Mapcode Global: WH79P.RBQ8
Entry Name: Heath Bank
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16680
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On a corner site in the block S of Erw Wen.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Dated 1835. Built as a terrace of 3. The buildings have a strong similarity of design with, and are contemporaries of, the nearby houses in Waterloo Place and Terrace. These were associated with the construction of the Welshpool Company Flannel factory, and it is possible that this terrace also was part of a coherent planned development connected with it.
Brick (painted to Nos 2 and 3), with rubble in gable ends, and concrete tiled roofs replacing slate, with strongly projecting eaves and diagonally set axial stacks. 2 storeyed, The Grapes Public House is double-fronted with central entrance, while Sussex House and Heath Bank are single fronted, with the entrances at either side of a central passage entry to form a symmetrical composition. The Grapes Public House has central 6-panelled door with overlight in moulded architrave with panelled rebates between projecting pilasters, flanked by 16-pane sash windows with splayed brick heads. Upper windows renewed in original openings. Sussex House and Heath Bank have similar doorcases (but the doorways themselves have been renewed) to each side of the round-arched passage entry, and 12-pane sash windows (renewed with UPVC glazing in Sussex House) with splayed heads.
A distinctive piece of urban vernacular design of the early C19 which retains much of its character despite some unsympathetic alterations.
Other nearby listed buildings