This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0337 / 52°2'1"N
Longitude: -3.2647 / 3°15'52"W
OS Eastings: 313337
OS Northings: 238008
OS Grid: SO133380
Mapcode National: GBR YV.G2TF
Mapcode Global: VH6BN.C4FT
Entry Name: Church of St. Gwendoline
Listing Date: 15 December 1995
Last Amended: 15 December 1995
Source ID: 16693
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located immediately NE of the centre of the village, approximately 60m from the A.470.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
History: The church is set in an oval churchyard, and is probably of early origin, although the early site, in Llangoed Park, was given to the See of Llandaf in c.560. The present structure, the original dedication of which is unknown, is largely the result of the extensive rebuilding of a small 2-cell Norman and C15 church by Charles Buckeridge in 1862-3 at the cost of £997.9s. The nave was lengthened and the tower added to replace the earlier saddle-back bellcote. The stone S porch was also replaced with the present timber framed structure.
Exterior: Squared sandstone rubble with a tiled roof (replacing stone in 1964). Pyramidal stone slate roof on tower. Two cells, nave and chancel, with W tower and open timber framed S porch. Two light windows with plate tracery and cinquefoils in spandrels under hood mould. Chamfered lancets to chancel, triple at E end. Larger lancets to tower with a 2-light W window. Coped gables to nave and chancel, each carrying a stone cross.
Interior: Walls plastered. Trussed rafter roof. Plain pointed chancel arch as wide as the chancel, which has a similar but lower trussed roof forming a barrel. Three tiled steps to altar at E end. Tower arch of 1 chamfered order springing from imposts.
Fittings: Font C12, a heavy hemi-spherical bowl set on a low stone column and base. Pulpit, limestone, set on N side, C19 and semi-circular, the top drum with incuse devices. Sanctuary rail on iron stanchions. Wooden altar. Pews C19.
Glass: War memorial E window. Figures in N and S lancets, a gift by Mrs Christie of Llangoed Hall, by C.Edwards c.1946-70. Single bell in tower of 1666.
Included as a modest C19 church with medieval origins, picturesquely set in relation to the village.
Reference: Haslam, R. 'Buildings of Wales' Powys (1979), 357.
Other nearby listed buildings