This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6591 / 52°39'32"N
Longitude: -3.1441 / 3°8'38"W
OS Eastings: 322714
OS Northings: 307435
OS Grid: SJ227074
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5GML
Mapcode Global: WH79P.PF19
Entry Name: Former Canal Warehouse
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16724
Building Class: Commercial
Location: At right-angles to the canal, alongside the tow-path between the Severn Street Bridge and the Lledan Aqueduct.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The eastern arm of the Montgomeryshire Canal was constructed between 1794-97. The warehouse was built in the early C19 - part of a second phase of development of the canal wharf at Welshpool. It was occupied in 1845 by a canal merchant (Thomas Groom) and in 1859 by the canal company.
Description: Roughly coursed and squared local green rubble, with slate roof. Gable facing canal has full-height loading bay divided as a door on each floor, in a heavy wood frame. Remains of housing for former external crane visible above. Return elevation to NE has similar wide openings, and a small boarded window beneath the eaves.
The warehouse is a fine example of small-scale canal architecture which forms part of a group of related structures associated with the major canal wharf at Welshpool.
Reference: Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988, p.124.
Other nearby listed buildings