This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6257 / 52°37'32"N
Longitude: -3.1732 / 3°10'23"W
OS Eastings: 320685
OS Northings: 303745
OS Grid: SJ206037
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.7MFN
Mapcode Global: WH79W.787F
Entry Name: Bridge 123 over the Montgomeryshire Canal
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16741
Building Class: Transport
Location: In the yard at Bank Farm, which is immediately W of the Carries Belan School Lane over the Montgomeryshire Canal.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The Montgomeryshire Canal was built as far as Garthmyl, to the S of Welshpool, 1794-97, engineered by John and Thomas Dadford. In the 1880's and 1890's, the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company carried out an extensive programme of work on the canal, and it is likely that this bridge was rebuilt at this time, as a replica of the earlier design.
Description: Blue brick with stone copings to parapet. S single arched span, with slightly curving abutments, terminating in simple piers. Voussoir arch with advanced brick 'keystone'; plain string course defines the base of the parapet.
Included as a good example of a typical Montgomeryshire Canal Bridge from the late C19 phase of engineering.
Reference: Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988.
Other nearby listed buildings