This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6402 / 52°38'24"N
Longitude: -3.1576 / 3°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 321762
OS Northings: 305342
OS Grid: SJ217053
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.6R8M
Mapcode Global: WH79P.GWLV
Entry Name: Northern Lime-Kiln Bank
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16748
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Built against the canal embankment, N of the by-road from Sarn-y-bryn-caled cottages.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The lime-kilns form part of a larger group with the adjacent southern kiln bank, built in phases from the late C18 to the mid C19. The earliest kilns (Nos 5 and 6) were probably built when the canal was opened in 1797: nos 7 and 8 were added shortly afterwards, c1800.
Description: The rubble retaining wall curves round to either side of kilns 5 and 6 to enclose a cart loading area, and is stepped back from a thickened base. The steep arches have rough stone voussoir heads, and the tunnels are entirely stone lined, and connected by a cross-passage in front of the drawing holes. These are visible in No 6, but obscured in No 5: the cones are not visible in either kiln, and have probably collapsed.
Kilns 7 and 8 are set forward of the earlier pair, in a rubble raked-back retaining wall, and have voussoir heads to segmental arches. Brick-lined tunnels lead back to the drawing holes, but these are obscured by the charge from the collapsed cones.
Listed as part of an important complex of lime-kilns - the largest single group of kilns on the Montgomeryshire Canal - which together illustrate the typological development of the lime-kiln from the late C18 to the mid C19.
Reference: Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988, pp. 63-66.
Other nearby listed buildings