This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6696 / 52°40'10"N
Longitude: -3.1365 / 3°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 323243
OS Northings: 308595
OS Grid: SJ232085
Mapcode National: GBR B0.4Y73
Mapcode Global: WH79P.S5M7
Entry Name: No2 Gungrog Hall
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16762
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In an elevated position on the NE side of the town, and approached via a lane which leaves the Salop Road close to its N junction with the A483 Welsh
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Much of the fabric of the house appears to be C18, comprising a central hall with gabled outer wings (a plan-form which may suggest even earlier origins). c1860, this house was remodelled: the wings were raised in height, and a central canted full-height wing added between them. The interior of the house was also extensively re-ordered, and the wall panelling etc. was introduced to the house from elsewhere at this time. Some at least of the panelling came from Sir Edward Waldo's house at Cheapside, London, which was demolished in 1861: the drawing room panelling was returned to a Barclays Bank on the site c1950. The house was divided into 2 dwellings c1950.
Exterior: Brick with stone dressings including angle quoins; slate roofs with axial and side wall stacks. Of a C18 building, the 2 gabled wings and the range linking them at the rear remain, though the wings were raised in height when the central canted wing was added. These outer wings are symmetrical, and in the main E elevation each has 2x4-pane sash windows on each floor, with flat arched stone heads; single similar window in gable apex. Rear elevation has 12- pane sash windows, some with flat arched gauged brick heads. Rough brickwork at rear angle of S wing may suggest that the building was once of greater extent. Central wing of E elevation was added in 1860: canted in plan, it has tall 4-pane sash windows, with triangular heads cut into flat stone lintels. Moulded stone cornice, the blocking course a later reconstruction. Lower wing to the N appears to be largely of c1860 (with similarly arched window heads in its catslide dormer) but does retain one small window with a finely gauged brick head.
Interior: The principle interest of the interior comes from the quality of the panelling which was introduced c1860: stair hall has early C18 fielded panelling, including lozenge panels and reeded pilasters, with deep recessed panels to overmantle of fireplace. The staircase itself has moulded tread ends in a C18 style, but the chamfered balusters and heavy newel suggest a date of c1860. The dining room is also fully panelled with C18 work: high raised panels separated by a dado rail, and a moulded cornice. Reeded pilasters flank the bolection moulded fireplace, which incorporates a high relief panel depicting Saint Christopher, and carved figures supporting the overmantle which has scrolled decoration. The drawing room of 1860 was also previously panelled, but this was removed c1850. It does however retain its original ribbed panelled ceiling, with a heavily undercut central boss of oak leaves.
The house is of historical interest as a C18 building substantially remodelled in the mid C19, and of exceptional architectural interest for the quality of the interior fittings.
References: Richard Haslam, Powys, Buildings of Wales series, 1979, p.211;
Morris Charles Jones, Reminiscences Connected with Old Oak Panelling now at Gungrog, 1864.
Other nearby listed buildings