This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7046 / 52°42'16"N
Longitude: -3.0997 / 3°5'58"W
OS Eastings: 325791
OS Northings: 312443
OS Grid: SJ257124
Mapcode National: GBR B2.2MK1
Mapcode Global: WH79J.C86Y
Entry Name: Cabin Lock
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16764
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the Montgomeryshire Canal between Crowther Hall and Bank Locks.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Pool Quay
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The Eastern Branch of the Montgomeryshire Canal was built between 1794 and 1797, engineered by John and Thomas Dadford. Between 1819 and 1831, G.W.Buck was engineer to the Montgomeryshire Canal Eastern Branch, and introduced a distinctive system of lock ground-sluice control in 1831: these remain in situ at this lock. Subsequent work on the canal included an extensive programme carried out by the Shropshire Union Canal and Railway Company in the 1880's and 1890's, and it is likely that the lock, while part of the original engineering of the canal, was substantially rebuilt or repaired at that time.
Description: Blue brick-lined lock chamber, with stone copings. Timber gates. Cast-iron lock ground-sluice controls, introduced by G.W.Buck.
Listed as an integral part of the engineering of the Montgomeryshire Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings