This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7023 / 52°42'8"N
Longitude: -3.0999 / 3°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 325772
OS Northings: 312193
OS Grid: SJ257121
Mapcode National: GBR B2.2TQ7
Mapcode Global: WH79J.CB2P
Entry Name: Crowther Hall Lock
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16765
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the Montgomeryshire Canal immediately W of Crowther Hall.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Pool Quay
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The Eastern Branch of the Montgomeryshire Canal was built between 1794 and 1797, engineered by John and Thomas Dadford. Between 1819 and 1831, G.W.Buck was engineer to the Montgomeryshire Canal Eastern Branch, and introduced a distinctive system of lock ground-sluice control in 1831: these remain in situ at this lock. Subsequent work on the canal included an extensive programme carried out by the Shropshire Union Canal and Railway Company in the 1880's and 1890's, and it is likely that the lock, while part of the original engineering of the canal, was substantially rebuilt or repaired at that time.
Description: Brick-lined lock chamber, with stone copings. Timber gates. Curved brick retaining wall to platform alongside lock on tow-path side. Cast-iron lock ground-sluice controls, introduced by G.W.Buck.
Listed as an integral part of the engineering of the Montgomeryshire Canal, and as part of a group with the lock cottage and bridge No 110.
Other nearby listed buildings