This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7012 / 52°42'4"N
Longitude: -3.0988 / 3°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 325844
OS Northings: 312071
OS Grid: SJ258120
Mapcode National: GBR B2.2V1Z
Mapcode Global: WH79J.CCLJ
Entry Name: School House
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16769
Building Class: Education
Location: Alongside the A483 150m approx. N of the church at Pool Quay.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Pool Quay
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The school was built at the initiative of the Third Earl of Powis in conjunction with the provision of a church at Pool Quay. He gave the site, though it was the parishioners who were responsible for building the school. The building was completed in 1863, and a second class-room was added to the rear in 1872. The school was closed in 1946.
Exterior: Brick with slate roof; axial and rear wall stacks. Single storeyed school room to the right, and schoolmaster's house as a 2 storeyed gabled cross-range to the left. This has doorway in its re-entrant angle, and wood mullioned and transomed windows of 2 and 3 lights with flat arched gauged brick heads in the gable end. Fretted barge-boards to gable. School room has 3x3-light wood transomed windows, and similar windows in gable end and rear wing, which also houses entrance. All windows have lattice glazing.
Included as a good example of a small rural school of the mid C19.
Reference: D.H.W., 'Parish of Pool Quay', leaflet in Pool Quay Church.
Other nearby listed buildings