This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6993 / 52°41'57"N
Longitude: -3.1 / 3°6'0"W
OS Eastings: 325759
OS Northings: 311856
OS Grid: SJ257118
Mapcode National: GBR B2.31F8
Mapcode Global: WH79J.CF10
Entry Name: Church of Saint John Evangelist
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16770
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the west side of the A483, 2km approx NE of Welshpool.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Pool Quay
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The Third Earl of Powis funded the building of a church for the largely industrial population of Pool Quay, in 1860-2. The architect was S. Pountney Smith of Shrewsbury.
Exterior: Coursed and squared red Sweeney Mountain sandstone, with slate roofs. Early English style. Nave with lean-to N aisle under a continuous roof, western bellcote, and cross- gables to undivided chancel. S porch of chamfered white painted timberwork on high stone base, and inner shallow stone porch, with double chamfered archway to doorway. Raking slate base to traceried painted wood turret surmounted by octagonal spirelet: open-work tracery with slate roof. Stair turret in NW angle of nave and aisle, canted in plan, and with a band of wood traceried lights with pierced quatrefoil frieze below the roof. Wide lancet windows to nave, and similar paired windows in N aisle, with continuous hood moulds and sill bands. Simple corbel table. Clasping buttresses to W, and E. 3-light plate- traceried W window, and triple lancets to chancel, enriched with nail-head decoration in the hood moulds, and recessed shafts to the arches; wheel window above. Triple lancet windows set high in S cross gables of chancel, with banded lancets in the lean-to organ chamber below. Plate traceried window in N gable.
Interior: N arcade of 5 bays, including blind western bay, and the undivided chancel. Octagonal piers with simple ring moulded capitals carrying chamfered arches; easternmost bay has stiff-leaf abaci. Roof carried on wall shafts sprung from corbels, with wood vaulting and boarding. Lean-to aisle roof has curved trusses sprung from corbels. Chancel up steps, with combined pulpit and lectern to the S: open-work arched panels, with nail-head decoration in arches, and pierced quatrefoils in base of lectern. Encaustic tiles to chancel, which has organ chamber to S ( with organ by Nicholson of Worcester). Half-bay sanctuary with sedilia to S; fittings include gilded and painted metal panel as reredos (installed in 1891) and similar Commandment boards in N aisle, a gift of Lord Powis. Font is a simple basin on a stepped octagonal base, with nail-head moulding at the foot of the basin, and ornate wrought-iron hood. Contemporary furnishings, including fine brass candle standards at intervals in pews. Stained glass in E windows, 1891 in memory of the Third Earl of Powis, and in wheel window above, 1899.
Of historical interest for its association with the Powis estate, the church is robustly detailed and crafted.
References: D.H.W. 'Parish of Pool Quay', leaflet in church;
Richard Haslam, Powys, Buildings of Wales series, 1979, p187.
Other nearby listed buildings