This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6949 / 52°41'41"N
Longitude: -3.1023 / 3°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 325600
OS Northings: 311375
OS Grid: SJ256113
Mapcode National: GBR B2.36WZ
Mapcode Global: WH79J.9JZC
Entry Name: Severn View
Listing Date: 1 September 1954
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16779
Building Class: Domestic
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Pool Quay
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Probably built in the later C18, the building was extended with the addition of the lower range at Severn View in the early C19. It was already subdivided as 2 houses by 1845. The buildings were extensively remodelled in 1866. The scale of the building, and its unusual layout, may suggest that it was not at first built entirely for domestic use: Pool Quay was an important industrial settlement at the end of the C18.
Exterior: Brick with slate roofs; gable end and axial stacks with dentilled caps. Main building (divided between the two dwellings) is 2 storeyed with attics, a 5-window range. The single entrance (to the Manor House) is to the left, in an added brick porch. Fenestration comprises 16-pane sash windows flanking 2x12-pane sash windows on each floor, with an additional 12-pane sash window over the porch. All have cambered brick heads. 5 gabled dormers in the roof, each with 8-pane sash window. A lower bay to the right appears to be a later addition, but may in fact be the later conversion of a formerly non-domestic block: it has 16-pane sash window on each floor. One and a half storeyed range to the left (part of Severn View) has central doorway in moulded architrave flanked by a 12 and 16-pane sash window, each with cambered brick head. 2 gabled dormers within the roof, similar to those in the main range. Hipped roof. Outbuildings (originally stabling?) continue as a wing to the rear of this range.
References: 'Map of the Township of Tirymynech in the Parish of Guilsfield, 1845', National Library of Wales;
Richard Haslam, Powys, Buildings of Wales Series, 1979, p.188
Other nearby listed buildings