This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6498 / 52°38'59"N
Longitude: -3.1574 / 3°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 321796
OS Northings: 306417
OS Grid: SJ217064
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.65BN
Mapcode Global: WH79P.GNQF
Entry Name: The Garden House
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16794
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Alongside the drive which now forms the main approach to the castle, and next to the Fountain Garden which occupies the NE section of the gardens.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Powis Castle
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The house was probably built in the early-mid C19, adjacent to the kitchen gardens which formerly occupied the site of the Fountain Garden, and oriented towards the drive which was made in the late C18 as part of landscaping work carried out by Thomas Emes.
Exterior: Roughly coursed and squared green local stone, with slate roof; axial stacks (stone, truncated and then raised in brick). 2 storeys, a long gabled range to the rear, with hipped frontage block. Entrance in gable end of cross-range facing N: chamfered 4-centred archway, with 2-light mullioned window in splayed architrave with drop-ended hood moulds on each floor alongside it. Coped gable corbelled out on moulded kneelers. Similar detail in return elevations of frontage range, the upper windows in gabled dormers. The front elevation has similar windows with hood-moulds to ground floor, and coped gabled dormers above.
Listed as an example of an estate cottage in an outstanding setting.
Other nearby listed buildings