This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0059 / 52°0'21"N
Longitude: -3.2487 / 3°14'55"W
OS Eastings: 314379
OS Northings: 234900
OS Grid: SO143349
Mapcode National: GBR YW.HSXH
Mapcode Global: VH6BN.MVW4
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 28 September 1961
Last Amended: 15 December 1995
Source ID: 16831
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located behind the road side development of Church Street, adjacent to the large moated manorial site.
Built-Up Area: Bronllys
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Parish church in the diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Twelfth century, rebuilt on the same foundations in 1889-90 by Nicholson and Sons architects of Hereford. Re-ordered by G. Pace in 1969.
Red and grey local sandstones, concrete tiled roof. Nave and Chancel in one long cell; the chancel narrower and lower. The walls of the west end of the chancel on both sides and the W wall of the nave are of medieval work. N door in a part timber-framed gabled porch, with post and panel sides and windbraced roof, re-using some medieval timbers, replacing the medieval stone porch. Dedication cross on jamb to right of door. Windows progress from simple Norman style at W end to 2-light Decorated before the chancel arch. Three-light E window, and 2 tall plain lancets at W end.
Walls plastered and colourwashed. Roof boarded on uniform scantling scissor trusses with inclined ashlars to brattished inner wall plate, all C19. Tall C19 chancel arch with stiff-leaf decoration to capitals and chamfers. Chancel raised, similar roof but arch braced to the four E trusses meeting a moulded collar plate. Brattished cornice. Sanctuary tiled. C19 piscina.
Fittings: Font, said to be C14, set in new position in 1969: shallow bulbous bowl with heavy projections, raised on a stepped circular base. Rood screen: three segments re-set at W end of nave, screening a vestry, c1450-1500, carved spandrel arches, one with a green man's mask. Cornice enriched with widely spaced fleurons. Moulded sanctuary rail on iron scrolled stanchions. Pulpit C18, fielded panelling with bracketed book-rest, brought here from Llandefaelog Tre'r graig. Also, affixed to the reader's desk, a French C17 carved wood representation of the Crucifixion, with SS John and Mary in front of drapes. Guilloche margin and ribboned cresting.
Glass: E window memorial glass of 1928, an Ascension with SS Mary and David.
Listed for its surviving medieval work, and internal fittings of special interest. Group value with the Detached Bell-tower.
Other nearby listed buildings