This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9606 / 52°57'38"N
Longitude: -3.9347 / 3°56'4"W
OS Eastings: 270145
OS Northings: 342110
OS Grid: SH701421
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y.KJPL
Mapcode Global: WH55H.JVK6
Entry Name: Peniel Chapel (including hall addition to rear)
Listing Date: 1 February 1996
Last Amended: 1 February 1996
Source ID: 16834
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located approximately 91m NW of the A 470 in the centre of the village; set back behind contemporary decorative railings on a slightly raised, part-metalled terrace and accessed from the road via a sh
Locality: Llan Ffestiniog
Built-Up Area: Llan Ffestiniog
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Methodist chapel dated 1839 incorporating minister's house in an unusual design; cosmetic alterations of late C19 and contemporary hall block addition to the rear.
Of coursed, rough-dressed rubble with half-hipped slate roof; resembling a storied terrace block, the chapel section of which is symmetrical. This has two entrances with late C19 Tuscan stone porches with simple pillars, pilasters and entablatures; 6-panel double doors with rectangular fanlights; 2 windows between to both ground and gallery levels. The outer windows light the two gallery stairs; the inner ones light the chapel itself and the gallery above. All the windows have heavily-moulded late C19 stucco architraves with scrolled brackets to projecting slate cills. Plain, projecting keystones to those at ground floor supported by scrolled brackets. The glazing is of late C19 sash type of 4 and 8 panes with marginal glazing, decorative enamelled glass to the latter. Between the larger chapel windows a recessed slate plaque with inscribed dedication and date 1839.
The minister's house, occupying the L of the block, is on three floors and two bays. Windows as before, though smaller and with plain sash glazing; single to upper floors and twin to ground floor. The entrance is on the L gable end; late C19 4-panelled door with shouldered-arched glazed upper panels. Further 4-pane sashes to the L of this. Both gable ends and rear are slate-hung. The latter has windows with marginal glazing as before, though one original (1839) small-paned sash survives on the top storey of the minister's house section.
Adjoining to the rear via a single-storey connecting range with modern porch, a late C19 chapel hall. Rubble and slate construction with half-hipped gable ends. Two 12-pane sashes to the inner and four similar windows to the outer long sides; central 20-pane window to the NE facing gable with narrow flanking 8-pane sashes. Plain stucco architraves and projecting slate cills throughout.
The interior was not accessible at the time of inspection (June 1995).
Other nearby listed buildings