This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0036 / 53°0'12"N
Longitude: -3.95 / 3°56'59"W
OS Eastings: 269247
OS Northings: 346919
OS Grid: SH692469
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y.GT41
Mapcode Global: WH559.9R9R
Entry Name: Quarryman's Cottages
Listing Date: 1 February 1996
Last Amended: 1 February 1996
Source ID: 16867
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Prominently located on the main Gloddfa Ganol level, backing onto a slate spoil hill and facing NE; set back slightly behind a slate-slab fence and with a slate-flagged forecourt..
Locality: Gloddfa Ganol Quarry
Built-Up Area: Blaenau Ffestiniog
Traditional County: Merionethshire
c1840 terrace of quarry workers' cottages originally serving Holland's quarry. This was opened in 1827 by Samuel Holland the younger and was also called 'upper quarry.' Originally the terrace would have housed the families probably of foremen or clerks, rather than quarrymen, who typically slept in barrack accommodation during this period. Following the amalgamation of Holland's with Oakely quarry in 1878 the terrace was occupied (until as recently as 1968) by 3 quarry maintenance men and their families, who were required to remain permanently on site. The main workings on this level commenced 1839-40 and it is likely that the terrace relates to this period. At the quarry's peak production period between 1882 and 1889, 534 men were employed in the deepest slate mine in the world, producing a recorded 13,753 tons of slate in 1882.
A good representative quarry terrace retaining much of its historic and sociological interest.
Other nearby listed buildings