This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6868 / 51°41'12"N
Longitude: -4.2756 / 4°16'32"W
OS Eastings: 242792
OS Northings: 201128
OS Grid: SN427011
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.DVMF
Mapcode Global: VH3M8.VV0R
Entry Name: Former canal overbridge
Listing Date: 24 May 1996
Last Amended: 25 November 2003
Source ID: 16883
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located at the NW end of Ashburnham Road, 100m SW of the parish church.
Community: Pembrey and Burry Port Town (Pembre a Phorth Tywyn)
Community: Pembrey and Burry Port Town
Built-Up Area: Pembrey
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The Kidwelly & Llanelly Canal was begun in 1812 and extended from Llanelli to Kymer's Canal (1769) on the E side of Kidwelly. Later the canal was taken over by the Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway and in 1869 it built a railway mainly on the bed of the old canal. The BP&GVR was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1922. The railway closed in 1985. The bridge carries a road through the village and is shown on the 1839 Tithe map.
Slightly skewed single-span, single-carriageway coursed-stone bridge, with freestone voussoirs to a 3-centred arch. A raised impost band is carried up over the arch. The parapet has plain copings and curves sharply outwards to square terminal piers. In the channel beneath the bridge is a raised course, or 'rubbing strake', defining the original level of water in the canal.
Listed as a well preserved early C19 canal bridge, one of the few remaining in this area.
Other nearby listed buildings