History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hydro-Electric Powerstation

A Grade II* Listed Building in Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0033 / 53°0'11"N

Longitude: -3.943 / 3°56'34"W

OS Eastings: 269714

OS Northings: 346878

OS Grid: SH697468

Mapcode National: GBR 5Y.GW2V

Mapcode Global: WH559.DRMY

Entry Name: Hydro-Electric Powerstation

Listing Date: 1 February 1996

Last Amended: 1 February 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16884

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located immediately to the W of the main road on an island between it and the main railway line, on the downhill approach to Blaenau Ffestiniog from the Crimea Pass.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Ffestiniog

Community: Ffestiniog

Locality: Llechwedd Slate Mine

Built-Up Area: Blaenau Ffestiniog

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Blaenau-Ffestiniog

History

The underground quarry at Llechwedd was opened in 1846 by J.W. Greaves and by the end of the century had become one of the largest and most successful in the area; in 1882 the quarry employed 553 men and had an output of 25,118 tonnes (24,723 tons), a record at the time. The quarry switched from steam to electric power c1906 and the power station was contructed at this time soley to serve Llechwood. The water is piped down from reservoirs on the Moel Bowydd; the station is still in use.

Exterior

Single-storey building of slate with slate roof; half-hipped gables and deep verges and eaves. 4 large small-paned wooden cross-windows on the long railway-facing side. Single-storey entrance porch with boarded door and half-hipped slated roof; weather-coursing at intersection with main block.

Interior

This remains almost entirely unaltered since its construction with the original twin system of turbines and generators still in use. Turbines by Gilbert Gilkes and Co of Kendal, operating 175kw DC Johnson and Philips generators at 385 RPM. General Electric switch gear with meters by Lionel Robinson and Co. of Thames Ditton. 8-bay roof with plain bolted king-post trusses; contemporary 5 ton gantry crane.

Reasons for Listing

Listed Grade II* as an exceptionally important, still operational example of an early hydro-electrical power station.

Group value with neighbouring listed items at Llecwedd.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.