This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2605 / 53°15'37"N
Longitude: -3.1804 / 3°10'49"W
OS Eastings: 321358
OS Northings: 374376
OS Grid: SJ213743
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z7Q.8X
Mapcode Global: WH76S.39TR
Entry Name: Ivy Cottage
Listing Date: 8 December 1995
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 16909
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 100m N of Gadlys Woods Farmhouse.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Now two attached cottages, but once Smithy and Smith's House probably built in C18 by London Lead Company, said to be the first to use coal to smelt lead, and producer of much of the silver for English coinage in the early C18.
From S, Ivy cottage is to R. One storey plus attic, two windows, brick (painted) slate roof, brick chimney to R. Attic casement windows set across eaves, catslide roofs. On ground floor, 2-light window to L, 3-light window to R; lean-to to R with door. To rear, one-storey ground floor extension; corner chimney (R), small windows adjacent to stack.
From S, Smithy Cottage is to L. Painted brick with slate roof, rendered central chimney. Doorway to R has 12-pane sash to L, beyond which are 2 Yorkshire sashes; to L again, store with corrugated roof. Rear has slate roof, and 2 windows, casement to L, and Yorkshire sash to R; plain end gable.
A rare example of rural industrial building from this period.
Group value with other nearby cottages and Gadlys Woods Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings