This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2671 / 53°16'1"N
Longitude: -3.167 / 3°10'1"W
OS Eastings: 322261
OS Northings: 375086
OS Grid: SJ222750
Mapcode National: GBR 6ZBN.4K
Mapcode Global: WH76S.B44R
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 8 December 1995
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 16910
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In large churchyard above High Street.
Built-Up Area: Flint
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built 1837-38 by John Welch, architect.
Exterior: Yellow sandstone, coursed, slate roofs. Cruciform plan, with lancets, gabled buttresses and low pitched roofs. West tower with parapet of stepped battlements, corbelled out; 2 windows to each side at bell stage, lozenge to W, shallow buttresses, blind windows to sides, to W, round-headed doorway with shallow hood. Three bays to nave (gabled buttresses) doorway to N has round head, shallow hood. Transepts and E end have pairs of buttresses carried up as octagonal pinnacles; 3 lancets between buttresses (almond-shaped window above), single lancets to ends (and to returns); E end similar to transept ends but has low polygonal vestry with buttresses rising above parapet.
Interior: Spacious interior has open roof to aisleless nave (gallery to W end on octagonal columns) and broad crossing arches with boarded roof.
Listed as good example of earlier C19 Gothic.
References: E Hubbard, Clwyd, (Buildings of Wales Series), 1986, pp 319.
Other nearby listed buildings