This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2695 / 53°16'10"N
Longitude: -3.1722 / 3°10'19"W
OS Eastings: 321922
OS Northings: 375364
OS Grid: SJ219753
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z9M.1P
Mapcode Global: WH76S.72PV
Entry Name: Forester's Hall (Cocoa Rooms)
Listing Date: 8 December 1995
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 16911
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Approximately 50m NW of Station Road
Built-Up Area: Flint
Traditional County: Flintshire
Opened 6 September 1879. Working men's club and cocoa rooms; architect Peter Bibby, of Flint. The cocoa rooms movement was supported by the temperance lobby to keep working men out of public houses. The building was built by public subscription. The ground floor cocoa rooms proved not to be financially viable, and became a pawn shop by 1885, and later a post office; the institute above with assembly hall (first floor), billiard room (top floor), and staff accommodation continued in use.
Pressed red brick with shallow pilaster strips and corbelled eaves; blue brick dressings and bands, slate roofs with red ceramic ridge tiles; 2 large chimneys to L have pilaster strips and corbelled top courses. To road, 3-bay front with lower gabled block to L. Central 3 storey section has, on top floor, broad camber-headed window; to each side of sill dated plaque. On first floor central window as above flanked by smaller windows. Gabled block has first floor camber-headed window and shop window at ground floor. Left elevation has central 3-storey gabled bay with camber-headed window to each floor. Door to each outer bay.
Plain elevation to R. Rear has 3-storey 3 window gabled block (camber-headed windows), with lower gabled block to R.
Believed to have been the first cocoa rooms in Wales. Listed for historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings