This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1496 / 53°8'58"N
Longitude: -3.8259 / 3°49'33"W
OS Eastings: 277989
OS Northings: 362945
OS Grid: SH779629
Mapcode National: GBR 63.5M3B
Mapcode Global: WH65X.63F7
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 30 May 1996
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 16931
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located towards the SE edge of the town; occupying a commanding hillside position S of the Afon Crafnant, close to the old Trefriw woollen mills.
Built-Up Area: Trefriw
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
c.1842 Rectory built by Lord Willoughby de Eresby of Gwydir Castle in simple Tudor style and contemporary with his restoration of the parish church of St. Mary.
Twin-gabled storeyed house of rough L plan, with lower service range adjoining to the S. Of squared, coursed slate-stone blocks under a renewed slate roof with plain modern bargeboards. There are 2 large chimneys, one straddling each of the piles. These are of 2 stages with curious dentilated ornament in three courses to the upper ones; plain cornice bands. Symmetrical 3-bay front to main block with raised ground floor on a chamfered plinth. Single-storey porch to centre, accessed via 4 slate steps. This has a depressed-arched opening with projecting, shaped keystone and imposts, and a flat roof with plain cornice and parapet; renewed, moulded architrave to original 4-panel door, the upper 2 with modern glazing. Above the porch is an original sash window with distinctive diagonal glazing bars, projecting slate cill, and a simple returned label. Larger, similar windows flank the porch on ground and first floors.
On the S side is a 2-light tracery window with trefoil heads (of the type found at Gwydir Castle), of rendered oak; 6-pane glazing to each light. Above this, a 12-pane casement with near-flush returned label. 2-storey rubble service wing to the S, apparently contemporary. This has early C20 twenty-pane French doors with an original 16-pane casement above; small C19 eight-pane casement to the R, modern windows to rear. Beyond the service wing on the same (S) wall of the main block, 2 further tracery windows as before, one to each floor. The rear (W) face has a storeyed lean-to type porch extruded between the N and the longer S piles. This has a chamfered Tudor-arched entrance with modern boarded door. Partially overlapping this to the R, a modern single-storey kitchen extension. Large sash windows with diagonal glazing as before to the gable end of the N (shorter) pile. To the L and above that to the ground floor, at a height of 2.5m, are builders' graffiti, inscribed: `WD WH EW 1842,' presumably referring to the completion date.
Simple interiors with plain cornices, late Regency-type reeded slate fireplaces and panelled window reveals to the main ground-floor rooms. Simple single-flight stair with stick balusters, plain string and (painted) mahogany rail.
A large and imposing Tudor-style mid-C19 rectory in a commanding position.
Other nearby listed buildings