This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1326 / 53°7'57"N
Longitude: -3.8006 / 3°48'2"W
OS Eastings: 279628
OS Northings: 361007
OS Grid: SH796610
Mapcode National: GBR 64.6M84
Mapcode Global: WH65X.LJDB
Entry Name: Knot-garden arch at Gwydir Castle with associated courtyard walls
Listing Date: 30 May 1996
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 16937
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located in the centre of the SE wall of the enclosed knot-garden at Gwydir Castle and giving access to the commemorative gardens beyond.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Rubble-built elevated wall section to centre of SE knot-garden wall with sandstone Tudor-arched entrance. This is ex situ, having been moved to this position c.1828. It relates either to building works carried out at Gwydir by John Wynn ap Meredith in the 1540s and 50s, or alternatively those implemented by his grandson, also John Wynn (subsequently the first Baronet), at the end of the C16; Given its strong similarity to the main gate, dated 1555, and the clear Renaissance character of the terrace arch, known to be of Sir John's period, it is most likely that it belongs to the former context. The arch is adorned with sculptural decoration on both sides, indicating that in its original context it was probably, like now, a garden or courtyard arch. The arch itself is chamfered and stopped at the base and has eagle and lion relief carvings in the spandrels (relating to the Wynn arms). Double-chamfered, returned labels with carved shields to the stops bearing the initials I and W (for Iohannes Wynn). Slatestone capping to top with central `Gwydir'-type trefoil finial on a 2-stage slate-stone base.
Adjoining the arch to the SW and NE are slate-coped rubble walls of roughly 1.5m height; these are of c.1828, though they probably mark the site of the SE courtyard range (demolished around 1816). The walls return to enclose the courtyard to the SW and the NE, where they reach a height of 2.5 and 2m respectively. The SW stretch partly incorporates the lower wall section of the original barn and stable range (demolished around 1816); it terminates at its junction with the gatehouse. The NE section has a later service block extruded at the E corner and has a plain opening at its N end (towards the house); decorative trefoil finials surmount the coping.
Listed as a mid-Tudor carved courtyard or garden arch, with associated walls.
Group value with other listed items at Gwydir Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings