This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1292 / 53°7'45"N
Longitude: -3.7989 / 3°47'56"W
OS Eastings: 279731
OS Northings: 360623
OS Grid: SH797606
Mapcode National: GBR 64.6TXZ
Mapcode Global: WH65X.ML5Z
Entry Name: Ffynnon Gowper
Listing Date: 30 May 1996
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 16942
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located on the W side of the B 5106 (Gwydir Road), approximately 750m SE of Gwydir Castle.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The ancient fountain of St. Albright was given a new structural focus by Lord Willoughby De Eresby of Gwydir Castle c.1830; at its opening the `Good Lord Willoughby' and his lady provided the local poor with refreshment and a small gift of money.
The fountain consists of a central stepped plinth within a slightly raised semicircular terrace with low retaining walls. The plinth is plain and of three tiers, constructed of large limestone ashlar blocks; at the base of the front are central and outer square blocks creating a division for 2 fountain jets. These are discharged via 2 plain iron settings in the centre of the plinth; they are currently not operative (1996). Flanking the fountain wide, low retaining walls curve out convexly to enclose the terrace to the W. These are of large slate-stone ashlar blocks and have slightly-overhanging coping stones. The walls terminate at the sides in square, squat piers with large overhanging capping blocks with deeply-chamfered upper faces. The terrace is accessed via 2 steps constructed of huge slatestone blocks and has a simple decorative pavement of conjoined octagonal slatestone sets; there are 2 openings into a drainage channel beneath the twin waterspouts.
Listed for its local historic interest as part of Lord Willoughby De Eresby's Gwydir Castle estate improvements.
Other nearby listed buildings